Welcome

to my blog, Connect thru Love. My postings will be about changing the parenting paradigm from consequences and control, which do NOT, I believe, have long term effects on behavior, to a love based teaching/living model. And what i appreciate most about this model, even from my very right-brained perspective, is that it is based on neuroscience and what and how the brain processes experiences. And though I am a therapist, when I work with families who are encountering difficult behaviors in their children, I am an educator and a coach to the parents.

I invite you to not only read, but to comment and ask questions regarding behaviors you are encountering with your children. And if you are a teacher, counselor/therapist, or case manager, I would love to hear from you as well.

To ask a question, please email me at connecthrulove@gmail.com
or simply post it in the comment section.

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Parental Reaction

And here is another thing that happens when, as parents, we cannot look at what is beneath a child's misbehavior. Yes, it leads us to fear and also to guilt, blame or sometimes, shame. The misbehavior ignites all the negative feelings that a parent is experiencing when their child acts out. And to soothe our own feelings we have to extinguish this misbehavior. And one can get to a place of responding rather than reacting to our children's behaviors if we are mindful or our own reactions. And from this place of mindfulness, we can become response-able rather than reactive. We can parent from a place of love and be with our child in the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really look forward to both your questions and comments.