Welcome

to my blog, Connect thru Love. My postings will be about changing the parenting paradigm from consequences and control, which do NOT, I believe, have long term effects on behavior, to a love based teaching/living model. And what i appreciate most about this model, even from my very right-brained perspective, is that it is based on neuroscience and what and how the brain processes experiences. And though I am a therapist, when I work with families who are encountering difficult behaviors in their children, I am an educator and a coach to the parents.

I invite you to not only read, but to comment and ask questions regarding behaviors you are encountering with your children. And if you are a teacher, counselor/therapist, or case manager, I would love to hear from you as well.

To ask a question, please email me at connecthrulove@gmail.com
or simply post it in the comment section.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Trauma

Trauma is defined as any stressful event that is unpredictable, prolonged, and/or overwhelming. Examples of traumatic events are: pre-natal and perinatal events, natural disasters, abuse (emotional, physical, sexual), neglect, divorce, separation from parents, accidents, medical "events"; and the list goes on...When any stress event goes unexpressed, unprocessed and/or misunderstood, the person is left with long term trauma. And the last sentence really bears repeating...trauma that is unexpressed, unprocessed, and/or misunderstood leads to long term trauma.