Welcome

to my blog, Connect thru Love. My postings will be about changing the parenting paradigm from consequences and control, which do NOT, I believe, have long term effects on behavior, to a love based teaching/living model. And what i appreciate most about this model, even from my very right-brained perspective, is that it is based on neuroscience and what and how the brain processes experiences. And though I am a therapist, when I work with families who are encountering difficult behaviors in their children, I am an educator and a coach to the parents.

I invite you to not only read, but to comment and ask questions regarding behaviors you are encountering with your children. And if you are a teacher, counselor/therapist, or case manager, I would love to hear from you as well.

To ask a question, please email me at connecthrulove@gmail.com
or simply post it in the comment section.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Verbal First Aid

Check outhttp://www.huffingtonpost.com/judith-simon-prager-phd/keeping-crises-from-becom_b_737465.html to learn about minimizing the effects of trauma. In particular, scroll down to The Firefighter and the Little Girl. And then stay tuned for information about the newly recognized (note: not newly produced) hormone called Oxytocin. It is the hormone which connects us to one another in a positive way but a hormone that our brain is taught to release.

2 comments:

  1. It is important to remember not all adopted children suffer from RAD. RAD is most likely to appear in children who were neglected or abused. RAD can not only occur in adopted children but biological children as well. Educate yourself and be aware of the signs and symptoms.For more information about RAD visit here.
    Reactive attachment disorder

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ranjeet and I would add that biological children can have attachment issues as well. And I much prefer to think of it as issues and challenges rather than any kind of disorder. Unfortunately, in the mental health field it is often necessary to give such a label in order to get the needed services.

    Many children and adults with attachment issues had some kind of trauma that was unexpected, unprocessed and misunderstood.

    ReplyDelete

I really look forward to both your questions and comments.