Welcome

to my blog, Connect thru Love. My postings will be about changing the parenting paradigm from consequences and control, which do NOT, I believe, have long term effects on behavior, to a love based teaching/living model. And what i appreciate most about this model, even from my very right-brained perspective, is that it is based on neuroscience and what and how the brain processes experiences. And though I am a therapist, when I work with families who are encountering difficult behaviors in their children, I am an educator and a coach to the parents.

I invite you to not only read, but to comment and ask questions regarding behaviors you are encountering with your children. And if you are a teacher, counselor/therapist, or case manager, I would love to hear from you as well.

To ask a question, please email me at connecthrulove@gmail.com
or simply post it in the comment section.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A Must Read for Teachers

I am going to copy an entire letter that was sent to Tom Daly who writes Tips for Teachers and has some terrific ideas for managing classrooms. His website is: adhdsolution@gmail.com If any teacher(or actually anyone who works with kids on a regular basis) is looking at this blog during vacation, it is a great inspiration for the new year when you return to your classroom.

Dear Tom,

I have been a teacher since 1968 (with a break for four years to
have my children). I have kept every single "Thank You" or
Christmas card that has been given to me by my students.

Yesterday I was looking for old cards for a Christmas Activity for
the day's lessons and I stopped to take the time to read the
comments that my students had written to me. Overwhelmingly, the
common message in these cards was a student thanking me for taking
the time to "care" about them as an individual.

Many said that they would remember me always because I touched
their heart and gave them hope for the future. There was never a
day that went by when I did not plan how I was going to achieve
this goal. It was time-consuming (in terms of preparation) and I
planned my day right down to how I was going to implement
strategies so that I could engage each child.

My reputation went ahead of me at this private girls school,l and I
can honestly say that I have never raised my voice or had to send a
child to the principal. I believed that if a child reacted
negatively in my class, then I had done something wrong and I took
time to "self-evaluate" my role in each situation. And each time I
believed that I could have handled the situation in a very
different way.

I was never afraid of taking the child aside and calmly
"deconstructing" the incident and negotiating a plan of action (
with the child's input) for the future.

I retired in June but soon realized there was something missing in
my life. And so now I am a relief teacher in the primary schools in
my local area - a very demanding role and very different.

I find it difficult to be able to evaluate the individual needs of
each child in a day's teaching. Then again, you have to remember
that these children have never seen ME before either!

I just completed a month's contract with a class at one of my local
primary schools. This class had a reputation and sending supply
teachers home in tears by lunch time. I never gave up on them and
set my standards very early. I came up with the idea of giving them
a month's challenge to turn the classroom into a Fantasy Land (the
theme of their novel). The students planned how they could achieve
this, they formed committee to construct the displays for each
section of the room, and then they met to bring it all together.
They were really engaged in all this.

On the last day of my contract, the class decorated their room in
bright colors and held a "Fantasy Day" inviting the prep year
students. I had tears in my eyes watching these "tough" children
relate to the younger students and explain their displays in
detail. On the last day of my contract, the principal said that I
had "turned the class around."

I enjoyed the experience so much, I was sad to hand them back to a
teacher who was clearly in need of help. The students showered me
with gifts and cards that totally overwhelmed me.

How did I do it? To be honest, I had never taken time to analyze
my methods when I taught full time, but now, as a relief teacher, I
needed to know.

But here's what it came down to: I simply never gave up on them.
Their normal teacher (who was away because she was experiencing a
"breakdown") called me to say that some of the students (the
naughty ones) improved their marks significantly in that short
time.

To be sure, there were some very testing days (and tears at night),
but I kept saying to myself "Susan, they are just children crying
out for help". I was preparing lessons at night (some nights as
late as 2 a.m.) that catered to the individual needs of the
students (as I saw them).

I think the day that I turned them around was the day I decided to
take a "relaxation session" with them after a lunch break to settle
them down. I was very nervous as these kids thought that they were
"tough." However, I got them to imagine or create a place where
they felt safe. I encouraged them to remember to visit that
place (no matter where they were) whenever they felt unsafe.

This session lasted 5 minutes - some of the tough kids said that it
was "stupid." Within days, they were begging me to do "relaxation
sessions" with them each day.

Every student entered into the spirit and this relaxation time
became their reward for trying their best in all classroom
activities. I endorse your philosophies on behavior management and
reading your ideas has given me the opportunity to do some
self-evaluation. I have always gone beyond the call of duty and it
has been rewarding BUT I am still learning.
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really look forward to both your questions and comments.