Welcome

to my blog, Connect thru Love. My postings will be about changing the parenting paradigm from consequences and control, which do NOT, I believe, have long term effects on behavior, to a love based teaching/living model. And what i appreciate most about this model, even from my very right-brained perspective, is that it is based on neuroscience and what and how the brain processes experiences. And though I am a therapist, when I work with families who are encountering difficult behaviors in their children, I am an educator and a coach to the parents.

I invite you to not only read, but to comment and ask questions regarding behaviors you are encountering with your children. And if you are a teacher, counselor/therapist, or case manager, I would love to hear from you as well.

To ask a question, please email me at connecthrulove@gmail.com
or simply post it in the comment section.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Tip of the Iceberg or What Do Consequences Have To Do With It?

Imagine an enormous iceberg, what you see on the surface is only a tiny percentage compared to what is underneath. To continue to focus on behavior is like chipping away at all of the ice that is visible. Just as you get one chunk of ice removed, more just bobs up from what is below the surface. We cannot reach the bottom by chipping away at the top. If we chip away at behavior by using consequences and control without addressing the emotions under the surface...all we're going to get is more negative behaviors bobbing up. And if we keep doing what we've always done, we will keep getting what we've always gotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really look forward to both your questions and comments.