Welcome

to my blog, Connect thru Love. My postings will be about changing the parenting paradigm from consequences and control, which do NOT, I believe, have long term effects on behavior, to a love based teaching/living model. And what i appreciate most about this model, even from my very right-brained perspective, is that it is based on neuroscience and what and how the brain processes experiences. And though I am a therapist, when I work with families who are encountering difficult behaviors in their children, I am an educator and a coach to the parents.

I invite you to not only read, but to comment and ask questions regarding behaviors you are encountering with your children. And if you are a teacher, counselor/therapist, or case manager, I would love to hear from you as well.

To ask a question, please email me at connecthrulove@gmail.com
or simply post it in the comment section.

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Disruptive Student/s


Yesterday, I posted on my Challenging Children Facebook page, this question posed by a teacher: "what am I to do with a student who is not on task, causing other children to be off task, and taking my attention from those who want to learn?"  here are 2 interventions that will, in most cases, elicit positive responses from the disruptive child as well as the other students in the class.  #1.  Develop the daily practice of greeting each child, as they enter your classroom, every day.  This means that you, the teacher will be at the door, not as a hallway monitor, but as a "greeter".  Personally address each child and make a mental note of the student's mood.  #2.  Pay particular attention to that child or children who seem a bit off that day.  When this student or students appear off task, wander over to his desk during your lecture or during a seat assignment and gently touch the student's shoulder (unless of course you know that this is a student who will react negatively to this gesture).  If you are uncomfortable touching a student, lean down and give a quiet, encouraging word. And #3: (Yes, I know I was only giving two interventions, but this one is an expansion of #2) Use #2 for amy child who appears off task or unfocused, even if he appeared just fine when you greeted her at the beginning of the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really look forward to both your questions and comments.