Welcome

to my blog, Connect thru Love. My postings will be about changing the parenting paradigm from consequences and control, which do NOT, I believe, have long term effects on behavior, to a love based teaching/living model. And what i appreciate most about this model, even from my very right-brained perspective, is that it is based on neuroscience and what and how the brain processes experiences. And though I am a therapist, when I work with families who are encountering difficult behaviors in their children, I am an educator and a coach to the parents.

I invite you to not only read, but to comment and ask questions regarding behaviors you are encountering with your children. And if you are a teacher, counselor/therapist, or case manager, I would love to hear from you as well.

To ask a question, please email me at connecthrulove@gmail.com
or simply post it in the comment section.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Time for Own Bed?

QUESTION:
My 5 year old adopted son has slept with me since he was a baby. I believe that it helped us "attach" but, now he is sleeping the "wrong way" on the bed and it feels like it is time for time to move to his own bed in his own room. Do you have any suggestions to help with the transition? We did buy "Spiderman sheets" so he can "protect him" while he sleeps but, he still wants to snuggle with mommy.

ANSWER:
Well, the first order of business, which I'm sure you've already done, is to "right" him, i.e. move him around when he moves into the "wrong way". And do that without any fanfare. Next, to begin the process of transitioning him to sleeping alone in his own room, lay down with him in his bed until he falls asleep. If he should wake up in the night and wander back into your room, just gently lead him back, lay with him for a bit again and then go back to your bed. It may take many nights of doing this and if you feel that it interrupts your sleep patterns too much if he gets up in the middle of the night, then perhaps the next best thing would be to bring his mattress to your room and put it beside your bed. Do this until he is comfortable sleeping along and then reintroduce him to his own bed in his own room. Do expect this to take quite a while until he is comfortable sleeping alone. Remember he has been in the "family bed" his entire life.

Let me know how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Elaine, I am still snuggling with him at night until he falls asleep but, after a few nights of coming to my bed (I was not very good about leading him back I must admit)he has managed to stay all night in his bed. I was expecting a much bigger "struggle" but, it has been an easier transition that I expected. We had tried the mattress on the floor before but that did not work and, he was back up in my bed again. I appreciate your advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you kidding a "family bed" with a 5 year old? He should have been in a crib a LONG time ago.

    ReplyDelete

I really look forward to both your questions and comments.