Welcome

to my blog, Connect thru Love. My postings will be about changing the parenting paradigm from consequences and control, which do NOT, I believe, have long term effects on behavior, to a love based teaching/living model. And what i appreciate most about this model, even from my very right-brained perspective, is that it is based on neuroscience and what and how the brain processes experiences. And though I am a therapist, when I work with families who are encountering difficult behaviors in their children, I am an educator and a coach to the parents.

I invite you to not only read, but to comment and ask questions regarding behaviors you are encountering with your children. And if you are a teacher, counselor/therapist, or case manager, I would love to hear from you as well.

To ask a question, please email me at connecthrulove@gmail.com
or simply post it in the comment section.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Defiant 10 Year Old

Questions:

My son is 10 years old, and although he is adopted, he has been a part of our family since he was a toddler. My ongoing question/problem is his defiance. No matter what the rules are, his mentality is "I'm going to do what I want to do". It absolutely annoys me and scares me. He's only 10...I want to get to the bottom of this before he turns into a teenager! What would you suggest? Thanks.

Answer:

A defiant child is a scared child. It really doesn't matter whether you are asking him to do his homework, pick up his toys, brush his teeth or whatever the request. You son freezes when you make a request and he first sees it as a threat and he goes into fight mode. My guess is that is that any transition to him, is seen as threatening. And you and he may go round and round each time your requests are met with a defiant attitude. You may even have gotten to the point that even thinking of asking him to do anything causes a stress reaction in you.

Here's what I would like you to try: allow your son time to see that what you are asking is not threatening. Give him 5 or 10 minutes notice before he needs to comply. If you can go sit with him, bring him close to you...in doing this you will connect with him and help him calm inside (and incidentally it will help you calm as well). Don't expect immediate compliance; he really isn't able to do that. Try to remember, he isn't defiant, he is scared. I would ask that you do this for 2 weeks as consistently as you possibly can, please feel free to write in the meantime with any question you may have. And remember to B-R-E-A-T-H-E in order to help you calm and respond to your son rather than react to him.

Elaine Spicer