Welcome

to my blog, Connect thru Love. My postings will be about changing the parenting paradigm from consequences and control, which do NOT, I believe, have long term effects on behavior, to a love based teaching/living model. And what i appreciate most about this model, even from my very right-brained perspective, is that it is based on neuroscience and what and how the brain processes experiences. And though I am a therapist, when I work with families who are encountering difficult behaviors in their children, I am an educator and a coach to the parents.

I invite you to not only read, but to comment and ask questions regarding behaviors you are encountering with your children. And if you are a teacher, counselor/therapist, or case manager, I would love to hear from you as well.

To ask a question, please email me at connecthrulove@gmail.com
or simply post it in the comment section.

Monday, November 1, 2010

Aged out of Foster Care

There are many, many children in our country who have gone into foster care or residential treatment and have no families to support them once they reach age 18. It is referred to as "aging out of the system." There are several charitable organizations that have been set up to help these kids. Check out this website: http://charityguide.org/volunteer/fewhours/age-out.htm and see how you might be able to help this very desperate, young population. You will be helping kids who will may otherwise be on the streets without any positive role models.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really look forward to both your questions and comments.