Welcome

to my blog, Connect thru Love. My postings will be about changing the parenting paradigm from consequences and control, which do NOT, I believe, have long term effects on behavior, to a love based teaching/living model. And what i appreciate most about this model, even from my very right-brained perspective, is that it is based on neuroscience and what and how the brain processes experiences. And though I am a therapist, when I work with families who are encountering difficult behaviors in their children, I am an educator and a coach to the parents.

I invite you to not only read, but to comment and ask questions regarding behaviors you are encountering with your children. And if you are a teacher, counselor/therapist, or case manager, I would love to hear from you as well.

To ask a question, please email me at connecthrulove@gmail.com
or simply post it in the comment section.

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Thought for the day...cont'd

...I realize that these families provide food, shelter and some nurturing and maybe for some that will be enough. We know, however, that this is more than just big family love-ins…many of these children have hard core emotional issues that translate into behavior issues. Are we doing kids any favors by putting them in families with lots of children? Is it better than having them in small group homes? Is it better to be in a family for a short period of time, until the family is burned out or until the child “burns out” (perhaps literally), the family? Is it better to blend into the woodwork in a large family, never having your issues dealt with really…but, having a family to call your own? The child who can make himself invisible probably is the hypo-aroused child who may self-injure physically or retreat into himself, emotionally.

1 comment:

  1. I have one adopted child with very serious emotional needs. I have had him in some capacity for 9 years and am considering foster/adopting another child. My son is very much for this but it will be difficult for him. I cannot imagine being able to really meet the needs of more children with this level of attachment issues and, in fact, worry about even being able to meet the needs of these 2. I do have 3 bio children but they are older, firmly attached and either independent or close to it now.

    ReplyDelete

I really look forward to both your questions and comments.